Something you will notice is that this recipe calls for things to be done by hand... this is because my mix master is broken!! OH NOES ='(
This recipe idea came from Love and Olive Oil-
It has been changed and reappropriated to my liking, so hence has become my own.
Vegan spread, at room temperature, to grease
100g vegan spread, melted
1/2 cup low GI cane sugar
1 tsp. vanilla essence
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups self-raising wheat free/ gluten free flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup almond milk1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Lemon Curd Filling:
1/2 cup low GI cane sugar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp vegan spread, melted
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
Frosting:1/3 cup fresh strawberries, pureed
2/3 cup low GI cane icing sugar
2/3 cup vegan spread, at room temperature
2 tbsp lemon juice (approximately 1 large lemon)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a cupcake tray with melted spread. Line with patty cases. Use a whisk to beat the spread, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and almond milk in a small bowl until pale and creamy. In a separate large bowl combine the flours’, salt and baking powder. Make a well in the dry mix and slowly stir in half the ‘wet mix’. Using a wooden spoon beat the mix and slowly add the remainder of the ‘wet mix’. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cases and smooth the surface. ONLY FILL HALF WAY. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack and let fully cool in the pan.
- Lemon Curd: Using a double boiler (or a make shift one), whisk eggs and sugar together. Add lemon juice, butter and lemon zest and stir constantly over medium heat for about 15 minutes. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon. Let cool.
- Frosting: place room temperature spread in a bowl. Using the same hand motion as if you were
whisking it, beat the soft butter for about a minute. Rotate your
wrist to make a good-sized circle with the end of the fork, to
incorporate some air into the butter. Then gradually add the powdered
sugar, continuing the same motion; slowly sprinkle the lemon juice and the strawberry puree in after
you've added about half the sugar. Continue to beat it hard with a fork
until all the juice, puree and all the sugar has been added (or you are happy with the amount and consistency). Add red food colouring if needed.
It won't be as fluffy as if you'd used a mixer, but it should be fairly light and easy to spread.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, scoop out a small pit in the top of the cupcakes and fill with the lemon curd. Use a piping bag, small palette knife or round-bladed knife to spread the icing on top of the cupcakes. ENJOY!!!