A healthy food & lifestyle blog specifically catering for & dealing with the symptoms & conditions of : Endometriosis, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) & Intracranial Hypertension (IH).
Looking at healthy food & food alternatives- redesigning classic recipes & new recipes;
Dealing and living with chronic health conditions on a daily basis- & research about the conditions;
Alternative therapies & remedies, gardening, arts & crafts...
Before undertaking any recipes found on this blog please look to the note in 'Cookery' !

Monday 8 April 2013

Easter Chocolatiering...

As you may know I am not actually religious, but I was brought up in a Catholic house hold and we did celebrate Easter.

I no longer go to church, adhere to lent or follow the unspoken rule of no meat on Good Friday (though we did have fish this year, a massive snapper as Mum was with us and she does still stick to the no meat rule, and we were more than happy to accommodate her)...

But I still do appreciate the basic the understanding of what is celebrated at Easter and I respect other peoples faiths.
Not to mention the fact that Easter itself is actually piggy backed off northern hemisphere pagan celebrations- the spring equinox.... BUT I am not going to get into that =P  hint that's why we have eggs, bunnies and even hot cross buns!!

To me Easter is a time to celebrate new beginnings, starting  a fresh, turning over a new lea, etc... you get the gist.
But more importantly it is a time spent with family, normally with good food, relaxed atmosphere and good times, and generally with lots of chocolate.

Like usual I like to make my own chocolate, and this year it was even more evident that I actually had to do so. As the lack of dairy free soy free options out there are appalling!!
I was able to get one bunny that I had to special order from my local health food grocer- it organic dark choc with rice milk white choc detailing- quite pretty actually and a fair hefty price too... but oh so worth it!!

But why am I complaining, I like making chocolate.
It's fun and I can make so many different things and flavour combinations...
So without further adieu:
Turkish Delight Rocky Road
Turkish Delight filled chocolates
Gooey lemon filled chocolates
Chocolates with crushed peanuts
Luscious raspberry filled white chocolate 
Chocolates filled with delicious gooey peppermint
 nomnomnomnomnomnomnom 
Mum, M. and I had fun making the choccies and devoured them all within the week.
Though if M. had his way it would have all been gone within two days!!!

The way I made these chocolates was quite basic:
Temper chocolate using a double boiler over a stove top.
Then depending on what your making you do different things like: pouring chocolate into the bowl to mix ingredients (like the rocky road or Turkish Delight chocolates) then into a mould or container and place in the fridge to set.
OR pouring a small amount into a mould and running the chocolate around the mould to form a shell then placing it in the fridge- you may need to do this a few times to build it up- then add your filling and topping it up with chocolate to seal it and back in the fridge again.

Making your fillings is also quite easy- some people use different things- I go for the easy option of just low GI icing sugar, essence and water.
You don't need much essence or water, and I know some people who like to use almond milk and vegan spread instead of water (more buttery flavour)- but it's completely up to you!
You can also use anything as a filling from peanut butter, coconut flakes with a bit of coconut cream, chocolate ganache, cherry and coconut to jelly...so what ever you want!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment