12 wooden skewers
600g chicken breast fillets, cut into chunks
Satay Sauce - There will be left over Satay Sauce!!!
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
1/2 medium red chilli, chopped
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup coconut cream
3 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp. natural light crunchy peanut butter
2 cups jasmine rice, well-rinsed
2 cups cold water
400ml can coconut cream
3cm piece ginger, peeled, sliced
Mango salsa (for original recipe)
1 large ripe mango, peeled, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 small chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
80g English spinach, washed and ripped up
1 tbs chopped coriander
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lime, or to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, for approximately 3 minutes, add the lemon juice and chilli. Whisk in the coconut cream and peanut butter. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stir in worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat, pour into a heat proof bowl. Cover and allow to cool. An hour or two later, pour satay sauce into a wide flat bottomed container (large enough to roll the skewers and marinade).
- Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- For the salsa, combine mango, onion, chilli, spinach, coriander, oil, lime juice and some salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Thread chicken onto skewers and roll in the satay sauce, coating each thoroughly. Pile them all together in the container and cover- allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Drizzle olive oil on a barbecue plate/grill or in a large skillet, add the skewers and on medium-high heat. Cook skewers, in batches, turning and occasionally basting with extra oil, for 7-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked though and slightly charred
- Meanwhile, place all coconut rice ingredients in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Discard ginger.
- Serve it all up!!