One of my closest friends has been living on the South Coast for the past 4 months.
She is now off to Darwin, with a detour back home first.
But it has now doubled as my Christmas dessert !!!
As there is enough left over and my head of late hasn't been so great.
M. and I decided to minimise how much I was doing closer
to Christmas, reduce my activity and stress load- relax more.
1 1/4 cup GF/WF plain flour, you may need more
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp vegan spread, cold
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp lime zest
2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice, chilled for about 40 minutes
Almond Cashew whipping cream (can be found at the Cruelty Free shop, in Glebe)
Lime Curd Filling:
1 cup low GI cane sugar
1/2 cup vegan spread, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp edible flavourless gelatin
1 lime zested
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice,
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
- Mix the flour and salt together in a large heavy duty bowl (I use my stainless steel one). Add the spread and, using your fingers 'cut' it into the flour until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Be patient--this takes a while.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and add the chilled lime juice, stirring to incorporate it. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and fold it over on itself a few times--don't get carried away. The dough will be soft, but it will firm up in the refrigerator.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour1.
- Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes in order to soften just enough to make rolling out a bit easier. Roll out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface into a large circle; about 4mm thick. As you roll out the dough, check if the dough is sticking to the surface below. If necessary, add a few sprinkles of flour under the dough to keep the dough from sticking.
- Carefully place into a tart or pie plate. Gently press the dough down so that it lines the bottom and sides of the plate. Using your fingers, trim the dough to the edge of the dish and create/ or follow the edge design of the dish. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Cover pastry base with baking paper and fill with rice, dried beans or pastry weights. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and weights, rice or beans. Bake for a further 8 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Lime Curd Filling: Using a double boiler (or a make shift one), whisk eggs and sugar together. Add lime zest and juice, stir. Add spread and gradually add gelatin, stir constantly over medium heat for about 15 minutes. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon. Pour mix into cooled tart case, stand for 10 minutes and place into the refrigerator- it will thicken completely on cooling.
- Decorate with whipped almond cashew cream, lime slices and blackberries.